Open Search
Open Navigation
International students smiling

International Students

Important admissions and enrollment information.


International Students


Welcome, International Students

Alliant is committed to serving a global community and welcomes applications from international students. Our programs are designed with diverse students in mind, preparing them for careers that connect them to the community and make an impact in their world. You’ll feel the international presence when you are on campus and enjoy the diverse cultures studying side by side. Learn more about the specific academic qualifications and enrollment requirements for international students below.

Start Your Application


Admissions and Enrollment Information

In addition to the university-wide admissions requirements, international applicants must also meet specific academic qualifications and enrollment requirements detailed in the sections below.


Academic Qualifications


High School Diploma Equivalency

Alliant accepts the following international qualifications as equivalent to a US high school diploma:

  • Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE)
  • General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
  • Cambridge O Levels
  • Cambridge International A Levels 

Applicants must complete at least five IGCSE/GCSE/GCE O Levels to achieve equivalency with a high school diploma, and at least three academic GCE A-Level exams to be eligible for advanced standing admission with transfer credit. Applicants are required to have a minimum of five subjects passed (grades of C or higher), including English and math, and without any duplication.

Furthermore, to achieve equivalency with a high school diploma, GCSE or IGCSE grades must meet the undergraduate requirement of at least a 2.0 GPA based on the grades posted on the exam statement, and students who have A Level are eligible for potential transfer credits (see transfer credit policy) up to 30 undergraduate credits as defined by the International Education Research Foundation (IERF).

Alliant does not currently accept ability-to-benefit (ATB) students. ATB students are defined as students who do not have a certificate of graduation from a school providing secondary education, or a recognized equivalent of that certificate.


Placement Tests

All courses taught on U.S. campuses, except those which are for learning an additional language, are offered in English. Applicants must meet Alliant’s English Proficiency requirements through documentation that:

  1. A high school equivalency was earned where the primary language of instruction/testing was in English;
  2. The student graduated from a U.S. university where the primary language of instruction was in English;
  3. The student successfully completed an English Composition course with a grade of B or higher from a U.S. college or university;
  4. The student’s transcript stipulates that the primary language of instruction for their school/program was English; or
  5. The student achieved the minimum test scores required for their program as follows:

  Undergraduate Level Master’s Level (except TESOL) Doctoral Level and TESOL Master’s
IELTS 5.5 6.0 6.5
TOEFL iBT 50 70 80
PTE 45 50 58
CAMBRIDGE 165 170 180
iTEP Academic 3.5 4.0 4.5
DET 85-95 95-100 95-100
CET-4 500+ 500+ 500+
CET-6 Pass Pass Pass

Please contact TOEFL directly at, to request an official score report. Alliant’s TOEFL code is 4039. Minimum test score requirements vary by degree level and can be more stringent by program. Alliant reserves the right to request a student to take additional English instruction as demonstrated by his/her academic performance.


Applicants not satisfying English Proficiency Requirements

Applicants who meet all other admissions requirements but do not meet the English Proficiency requirement are encouraged to consider the ESOL program. This program may take up to 12 months. Minimum test score requirements vary by degree level and can be more stringent by program. Students who achieve the appropriate test scores are eligible to apply to the applicable program(s):


  Undergraduate Level Master’s Level (except TESOL) Doctoral Level and TESOL Master’s
IELTS 5.0 5.5 6.0
TOEFL iBT 35 50 70
PTE 40 45 50
CAMBRIDGE 155 165 170
iTEP Academic 3.0 3.5 4.0
DET 85-95 95-100 95-10

Transcript Evaluations

We understand the preparation and amount of time it takes for you to compile required documents, which is why we want to help ease the process through our in-house transcript evaluation service with no charge to you.

Alliant will accept a scanned, color image of official or true copies of academic transcripts, marks sheets and graduation award certificates for an admission decision. transcripts and graduation certificates are evaluated by trained Alliant staff to provide U.S. equivalency. Once accepted to the university, the student is required to present official documentation to the office of admissions or International Student Services Office for verification. 

Alternatively, students may also choose an approved vendor to provide this service at a cost. You can visit the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website for this full list. Once completed, please request that the evaluation service send an official copy to the Alliant International University Application Processing Center.

All foreign documentation that is not issued in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation. 


Enrollment Requirements


Student Authorization and Visas

Admitted students who are not U.S. Citizens or permanent residents (Green Card holders) are required to obtain U.S. immigration authorization to enroll at Alliant.

For international students living abroad, applicants must:

  1. Complete their application and submit all required materials at least six (6) weeks prior to start;
  2. Have a valid I-20/DS-2019 on file at least 30 days prior to start;
  3. Have visa approved at least 2 weeks prior to start; and
  4. Arrive in the country no more than 30 days prior to the first day of the applicable semester/term.

For international students living in the U.S. (transfer), applicants must:

  1. Complete their application at least two (2) weeks prior to start; and
  2. Have a valid I-20/DS-2019 on file and arrive no later than the first day of the applicable semester/term.

Please refer to the International Applicants and Students page of the academic catalog for additional information regarding: 

Review our 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Student Visa which includes a check list of required documentation for your Visa interview and our International Student Pre-Arrival Guide for topics related to preparing for the Visa interview, F-1/J-1 immigration status information, and planning your travel.

EducationUSA also offers resources to help students prepare for Visa Interviews and guide them through the application process to obtaining a Visa. EducationUSA has more than 400 advising centers in 170 countries designed to help local students find the appropriate college or university in the United States and assist with meeting the U.S. State Department requirements. Find your local EducationUSA center.


Health Insurance

Federal and state laws require that international students maintain adequate health insurance while attending Alliant International University. While many other countries bear the expense of health care for their residents, individuals in the United States are responsible for these expenses themselves. A single day of hospitalization can cost thousands of dollars. A good insurance policy gives you access to excellent medical facilities and provides protection against the enormous costs of health care in the U.S.

All international students are required to obtain health insurance coverage during their tenure at Alliant.

To fulfill this requirement, students must purchase a health insurance policy that meets all US Immigration insurance requirements for F-1 and J-1 students. The provisions are listed below:

  1. Effective throughout the semester and renewable for continuous coverage
  2. Minimum dollar coverage of $100,000 per illness or injury

  3. Include outpatient care (doctor visits, outpatient surgery, etc.)

  4. Include hospitalization

  5. Repatriation for at least $25,000

  6. Medical evacuation for at least $50,000

  7. Cost of deductible, if any, does not exceed $500 per accident or illness

While Alliant does not recommend any international student health insurance company, international students have found comparable coverage with these market-offered agencies:

Please direct any questions you may have regarding health insurance coverage to the International Student Services Office, your campus DSO or Student Advisor (include your email and phone number with international code).


Financial Ability

Financial Certification Forms will be provided to you by your admissions counselor. The U.S. Immigration Department requires you show proof of financial ability to cover one academic year of expenses before an acceptance decision can be made. Scholarships may offset a portion of your expenses.

Alliant reserves the right to require further certification of finances or advance payment of tuition and fees from students whose funds originate in countries where severe currency restrictions exist.


Talk to an Admissions Counselor

Our goal is to help you build a home away from home at Alliant, and we plan to support you as you transition into our university community. You can expect a personalized experience awaiting you as we guide you on your educational path.

Our admissions counselors provide individualized assistance to our international students and their families throughout the application, immigration, and acclimation process.

Schedule An Appointment


Admissions Undergrad

International Students Admissions FAQs


Can I take all my courses online?

An F-1 student may only enroll in one online or distance education course each academic term as a part of maintaining full-time enrollment. International students must consult with the International Students and Scholars Office by calling (858) 635-4564 before enrolling in any online courses.


Do I need to obtain health insurance?

Students on F-1 visas are not required to show evidence of health insurance, however, Alliant strongly recommends students obtain health insurance while in the U.S.

Students attending Alliant on J-1 visas (as well as their accompanying spouses and dependents) are required to obtain health insurance coverage during their tenure at Alliant.

Students on J-1 visas must show proof of compliant health insurance coverage at the start of each academic year (or their first term at Alliant if starting during an alternate semester or term). Without showing proof of health insurance each year, students will not be permitted to register for courses.

To fulfill this requirement, students must purchase a health insurance policy that meets all US Immigration insurance requirements. For additional information regarding health insurance, please refer to the International Student Health Insurance section of the academic catalog.


How do I apply for housing?

Alliant has multiple partnerships with local housing opportunities near the San Diego campus. Please review and contact our housing partners here.


When is tuition due?

Tuition is due the Friday before the first day of class of the term for which you are registered. For classes added during the published add/drop period, payment is due prior to registration. 

Please note: Registration will be dropped for students who have not paid by the deadline and do not have an approved deferred payment plan.



How do I pay tuition?

After a student is admitted, confirmed, and registered for courses they may access our online payment system CASHNet through their Alliant Portal. Once logged into CASHNet, you will select MPP CLICK HERE TO MAKE A PAYMENT. 

  1. In a blue box labeled MPP-MY PAYMENT PLAN, click on the payment plan option you would like. Please note that sessions/semesters often have different numbers of options i.e., two, or up to four payments, depending on the length of the session/semester.
  2. Read the terms and conditions, if you agree, sign with an electronic signature and push accept.
  3. Walk through the remaining steps following the prompt buttons on the screen.


To set up a PAYMENT ACCOUNT, you will need a check with your bank routing number and account number. Click on MY SAVED ACCOUNTS. Select ADD NEW. Enter the requested information and press SUBMIT.


What if a third party is paying all or part of my tuition?

If you will have a third party paying for any part of your tuition and fees, please contact student finance at and to make payment arrangements.


How is my tuition and refund calculated?

Individual tuition may vary depending on the student's enrollment. Please refer to the Tuition and Fees page for additional information.


Am I eligible for financial aid?

International students with F-1 or J-1 status are not eligible for federal financial aid from the United States Department of Education.


How can I make sure I maintain my F-1 or J-1 visa status?

The staff of the International Student Services Office (ISSO) can advise you about F-1 or J-1 regulations and proper compliance procedures. To maintain in good standing with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), it is important that you contact the ISSO before you make any changes which may jeopardize your status to remain within the U.S; i.e., switching your degree program, changing marital status or sponsors, transferring schools, securing employment, traveling outside the U.S., etc. 

It is important that you schedule an appointment as situations often vary, so it is advisable that you contact the ISSO or an immigration attorney on all matters that might affect your F-1 or J-1status. Alliant’s ISSO can be emailed at

For additional information, please refer to the Maintaining Status section of the academic catalog.


Am I allowed to work on campus?

Yes, an F-1 student may accept employment at the institution they are authorized to attend without prior approval from DHS, provided the student is enrolled in a full course of study. Students should consult with the International Students and Scholars Office by calling (858) 635-4564 for any on-campus employment questions.

  • No USCIS approval is required for on-campus employment if the F-1 student is pursuing a full course of study.
  • On-campus employment is defined as employment on the school’s premises, but it can be with an on-location commercial firm providing on-campus services for the school’s students. On-campus employment at the graduate level can also be at an off-campus location educationally affiliated with the school.
  • Employment is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session; full-time employment is permitted during official school breaks (i.e., when school is not in session) and during the student’s annual vacation.
  • The student must be pursuing a full course of study, or, if employed during annual vacation, intend to register for the next academic term at the school.
  • Employment may begin no sooner than 30 days prior to the start of classes for new students with initial entry to a new program.
  • Transfer student employment can only occur at the school responsible for the student’s SEVIS record. However, before the release date, he/she can only work at the transfer-out school; after the release date, he/she can only work at the transfer-in school.
  • Authorization for employment is based on the end date on Form I-20 unless the student completes or terminates his/her program before that date or transfers to another school.
  • Mexican and Canadian part-time border commuter students are not permitted to work on-campus. Regular F-1 Mexican and Canadian students are eligible for on-campus employment like any other F-1 student.


Who should I reach out to regarding optional practical training or curricular practical training?

To apply for optional practical training or curricular practical training, please contact the International Students and Scholars Office at (858) 635-4564. For information about curricular practical training (CPT) and eligibility requirements, please see the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) section of the academic catalog.